LEVEL 1: Big Data and the Art Market
An introduction to art market data, sources, analysis and tools
LEVEL 1: Understanding Art Market Data
As the art market is gradually moving from a small niche market towards becoming a global industry – data, information and research are becoming essential tools in supporting the development and growth of both new and existing art businesses.
Whilst data and research traditionally was focusing on auction data and prices of art, the new art industry is in need of a broader set of indicators to help them navigate an increasingly complex marketplace. In this course, Anders Petterson, Founder of ArtTactic and regular lecturer of Sotheby's Institute since 2005, will introduce you to the changing nature of the global art eco-system, and discuss the type of data sources, analytical tools and industry research available.
The course includes:
- Videos: You will have access to 2 1/2 hours of online video content. The content of this course is an in-depth look at data in the art market, and is building on what Anders Petterson is regularly teaching for Art Business programmes at Sotheby's Institute in London.
- Slides: The students can download pdf copies of the slides used in the presentations.
- Reports: Complimentary ArtTactic art market reports (Annual Global Art Market Outlook, Auction Analysis and Art Market Confidence Survey, Hiscox Online Art Trade Report and Deloitte Art & Finance Report. The combined value of these reports are more than £500).
- Test quizzes: A quick recap of some of the content and issues raised in the online lecture
- Certification [NEW]: The student will be issued with a certificate of completion when all the online videos and test quizzes have been completed.
- CPD Accredited: Our courses have been independently evaluated for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) purposes by The CPD Certification Service.
Certification: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Our courses have been independently evaluated for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) purposes by The CPD Certification Service. This means our courses comply with universally accepted principles of Continual Professional Development (CPD) and have been structured to meet the criteria of personal development plans. Join one of the online courses below and get an ArtTactic Certificate of Completion with the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) certification stamp.
Anders Petterson is a leading authority on the art market, with particular focus on art market research and analysis. He is the Founder and Managing Director of ArtTactic, a London-based art market research and data intelligence company he set up in 2001.
All the online courses are based on his own experience in collecting, analysing and presenting data on the global art market, and the courses will give an insight into how ArtTactic conceptualizes, designs and executes research projects linked to art market and introduces analytical models to better understand the value of art.
Anders is regularly lecturing on MA and Executive courses at Sotheby's Institute, Christie's Education and ESA Business School (Beirut) covering topic such as Art Market Analysis, Art & Technology and NFTs as well as Art as an Asset Class. He is also a regular speaker on these topics at international conferences and seminars.
ArtTactic is also well-known for its industry research on the art market and its intersection with other industries, such as the Deloitte | ArtTactic Art & Finance Report, TEFAF Art Dealer Finance Report 2018, and the TEFAF Art Patronage Report 2020. ArtTactic has also produced the Hiscox Online Art Trade Report annually since 2013.
Anders Petterson is a founding Board Member of Professional Advisors to the International Art Market (PAIAM), a role he had between 2011 and 2021. PAIAM was founded in London in 2011 bringing together professionals who provide specialist services to the art market.such as lawyers, accountants, tax advisors, insurance specialists and logistics experts, amongst others.
Connect on LinkedIn
PreviewLecture 2: About ArtTactic and its research initiatives (7:42)
StartLecture 3: Art Market Trends (17:33)
StartLecture 4: Online Art Market (7:44)
StartLecture 5: Art & Finance (6:32)
StartLecture 6: The Art Eco-System (7:07)
StartLecture 7: Understanding the Value of Art – Part 1 (3:40)
StartLecture 8: Understanding the Value of Art – Part 2 (17:28)
StartDownload presentation slides for Part 1
StartLecture 11: Art Market Data – An Introduction (5:39)
StartLecture 12: Auction Sales Data (10:22)
StartLecture 13: Primary Market Data (15:17)
StartLecture 14: Media Data (3:27)
StartLecture 15: Social Media Data (6:32)
StartLecture 16: Crowd-sourcing Data (15:03)
StartLecture 17: Art Industry Research (23:52)
StartDownload presentation slides Part 2
StartArt Industry Research and Data - Useful links